My Current Mental Health

In my last blog post I spoke about how I've recently been discharged from mental health services. While this shows a huge amount of progression, I still struggle often with depression and PTSD symptoms. Some days are good, some are bad, some are awful. Today has been an up and down day.
I started my morning at 4a.m. after a trauma nightmare that had me frightened. So I got out of bed, sat for a while to try and get my head together, then I made a cup of tea to try and soothe myself. It was around 5am when my partner, Dan got up to make sure I was okay. He stayed with me throughout the difficult early morning because he's an absolute diamond. With Dan's help, I got through it and had a relatively pleasant morning (I went to see the doctor about my mental health and I have an appointment with him next week to discuss it in detail).
Suddenly, at midday I started to feel depressed and had zero motivation to do any task or activity. My head felt foggy and blank. I was desperately trying to think of something to do to occupy myself, but I just couldn't seem to. It was one of those times when I just had to go to bed and sleep it off (that's a good coping mechanism for me) and hope to feel better upon waking.
I felt quite irritable when I woke up from my 1 hour 45 minute nap but me and Dan had somewhere to be so that motivated me and my irritability soon disappeared. Being out for a little while lifted my mood. It's amazing what some fresh air can do for your mental health. I've not long been back and I finally feel motivated enough to write this post and do some other activities afterwards- maybe some journal writing in my Filofax because I absolutely thrive from organisation and I'm obsessed with stationery. Then I'm going to settle down and watch a film or two with Dan.
The aim of this post was to make the point that it's okay to struggle sometimes. Do whatever you have to do to get through it and remember to fully enjoy the good days, and if it's getting too much then please see a doctor- they can be of great help, after all, that's what they're there for. Put yourself first and seek help because you will feel so much better for it.

Stay strong.

Leigh

Comments

Popular Posts