Coping With Low Motivation In Depression

We all experience low motivation at times. We might not want to get out of bed for work. We might want to spend our Sunday in our pyjamas. It's natural as humans to have times like this. However, with depression, low motivation can be a huge issue and really affect our every day life.
If you need to know more about depression before reading on with this post, read my previous post on it here.
As we know, depression can be a very debilitating condition, stripping us of our worth and identity. Some call it The Black Dog (watch a quick video about it here). While I'm not a medical professional, I have first hand experience of depression through battling it myself and also meeting many others at their worst in hospital settings. I am yet to meet one person with depression who doesn't struggle with low motivation and fatigue. My findings show just how serious these symptoms can become. What might start out as an extra hour in bed can (within a few months) potentially morph into six days straight spent in bed, only getting up to use the toilet. This symptom can consequently create further symptoms, including compromised self care, poor appetite and even worse fatigue than previous.
So what do we do when we feel insanely exhausted and really can't be arsed about the world around us? Good question, and I'm going to be honest- it's not at all easy. I still struggle myself, but through my journey I am slowly finding little tasks to help me gain some confidence and motivation in my daily life. I'm going to write things that do and don't help me, because what might not work for me may very well work for you, and after all, that is what the aim of this blog always was- to help YOU.


  • Although you may feel like you don't need to sort your sleeping pattern out (because you're sleeping so much), it's actually a great place to start. When you decide to sleep, set an alarm for 8 hours later. Even if you don't get up at that time, it will start to get you into a routine of waking up. Once you're used to that you can maybe sit on the end of your bed when your alarm goes off, then stand and stretch, then walk into your living room, make a cuppa, and so on. But remember, small steps.
  • If you feel like you need a challenge for yourself, go and make yourself a nice cup of tea and mindfully drink it (mindfully drinking a cup of tea means using all your senses to be in the present moment). Then when you are done, you can go back to bed. This could be a daily routine for you until you feel you can handle a little bit more.
  • I know all too well that depression makes you not give a shit about showering or bathing, so even if you keep some wipes in your bedroom to clean your sensitive areas, that will help your self care.
  • One thing that can help you feel like you've achieved something is changing your bed sheets before getting back into bed. If you can't handle that, change your pyjamas. This will help make you feel clean and a little bit more content. From my own experience, staying in the same pyjamas in the same bed sheets without showering for a week really lowered my self esteem and sent me further into depression.
  • If on a certain day, you feel a little more energised, step outside for five minutes. It's amazing what some fresh air can do for you. Even if you just stand there and breathe for a little while. It will help centre your mind and bring you back to the present moment.
  • Maybe you're having a really bad time and don't want to move from under the duvet. That's fine, too. You could close your eyes and breathe. Acknowledge your thoughts without judgement. Basically, it's a small amount of meditation without the huge effort. This will give you some space in your mind for a little while. There are a few apps you can get to help you with this. Headspace and Breethe are good ones.
  • Have a Netflix day. Watch your favourite series and enjoy it.
  • If you have pets, snuggle with them. I often snuggle with my cat, Whippy. She knows when I'm down and always cheers me up.
  • Try to eat something at least once a day to keep up your energy levels. Even if it's a piece of fruit or a sandwich to keep you going.
  • If you're not seeing a medical professional about your depressive symptoms, I urge you to speak to your doctor as soon as you can. They can prescribe antidepressants as well as refer you to mental health services (UK) for further assessment and psychological therapies. If you are already in mental health services or see a mental health professional, make sure to let them know when you're experiencing a decline in your mental health or worsening of your symptoms. This will help them get you the right help you need.

Comments

Popular Posts