How Physical Health Affects Mental Health

I never really thought about how physical health can affect our mental health. I mean, it's not like I was ignorant to it. I knew it was a thing, but I just never thought about it. That was until I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) in December 2018. Here's a little back story:

It started in November when I was getting quite severe pain in my lower right abdomen. After a few days I saw my GP who ordered scans. After a few weeks the pain eased and one of the scans showed nothing. I wasn't really too worried about it now that the pain had subsided. Then my GP told me that one of the ultrasound scans showed possible polycystic ovaries. I had to get a blood test to confirm and then I was diagnosed. I did my research and considered myself to be quite lucky in that I don't have Hursutism (excessive body hair where hair is usually minimal). At that point I considered my condition to be quite mild compared to others. Christmas came and I experienced the odd day with pain but it was nothing too concerning. I found that Ibuprofen and a hot water bottle worked a treat. However, at this point I was experiencing quite harsh mood swings and didn't know how to control them- anger that would last ten minutes followed by sadness that would last maybe half an hour followed by an elevated mood. This went on for weeks and was really tiring for both me and my partner. For those of you who don't know, the mood swings are usually caused by a hormone imbalance, which is a crucial symptom of PCOS. Throughout January I experienced little to no pain, which was quite nice, but what I did see was a worsening of my depression, especially the fatigue, which has carried on until the present day. Depression and anxiety are also common symptoms of PCOS. Add that on top of already experienced mental health symptoms and it can be very debilitating. Luckily, I haven't really experienced anxiety attacks which is a first but I am most definitely not complaining. The only thing that gives me any anxiety is the complications of PCOS, which can include Sleep Apnea and Type 2 Diabetes.

This past week I have really struggled with pain, sometimes even worse than in November. The Ibuprofen wasn't cutting it, even Solpadol wasn't cutting it. The hot water bottle wasn't really doing much. I've had to just ride through it the best I can. However, what really hit me was the fatigue. Earlier this week I spent a few days sleeping 20+ hours each day. I was completely wiped out. I still am, but it's not as severe this weekend, and that's a positive. What has really hit me this week is how much my PCOS has affected my functioning over the last three months. I've struggled with my concentration, memory and especially motivation. Some days I've barely managed to wake up, never mind make a meal or even go outside for some fresh air. This condition has hindered me doing some activities that I love, such as volunteering or meeting up with friends. Even when I'm not tired, I am in pain when putting a load of clothes into the washer, or doing the dishes. Carrying shopping can be difficult too. I have had to make little changes in order to make these tasks easier, such as taking a chair into the kitchen whilst loading the washer, etc. Something that has really helped me is my partner. He has a physical disability and has inspired me massively. He always gives me tips to help manage daily tasks and it's amazing to have that support there when I'm really struggling. It makes getting through the day that little bit easier.

One of the most successful things for PCOS is weight loss. It's been proven to minimise symptoms, regulate periods and in some people it's eradicated symptoms altogether. My main goal for 2019 has been to try and lose some weight to ease my symptoms. However, what some professionals fail to tell you is that the mental health affects can hugely get in the way of this. If I can't even get out of bed, what chance have I got in going to the gym for a workout? It's pretty much zero. Now, some people might say it's all mind over matter, which can be true in some cases, but when it's your mind that is actually compromised, then that statement becomes void. You can't always have a strong mind when it's your mind that is unwell.

Sometimes when both my physical and mental health are compromised, I turn to self care. Something that really helps me is making a homemade hair/face mask and doing my skincare routine- coconut oil and honey works wonders! It's such a little thing but helps a great deal.

I'll finally get to the point that this whole blog post is meant to make. Now I feel I have a little more insight into how a physical condition can affect cognitive functions. When we're not at our peak physically, our mental health suffers, and it can be really shit. My functioning has been affected by my PCOS condition. I can only imagine the impact a physical disability can have on someone's mental health.

So if you're struggling with a physical illness and/or disability, I'm with you. I understand your situation a little bit more than I used to and I commend you. I accept that you have times where life seems a real pain in the arse, but you're doing your best, and that is amazing. Please don't ever give up.

Leigh.

Comments

Popular Posts