Depression

Depression is a serious mental health condition which usually starts between the ages of 15 and 30, and is much more common in women. Women can also get postpartum depression after the birth of a baby.

When we think of depression, a lot of us think of someone feeling sad. However, this isn't a true representation. While extreme sadness is a symptom, there are various other thoughts and behaviours that run alongside the sadness. These include:

- Loss of interest in activities or hobbies you used to enjoy
- Sleep problems (sleeping too little or too much).
- Changes in appetite (not eating enough or overeating).
- Changes in weight (due to appetite).
- Low energy and motivation.
- Feelings of worthlessness or feeling "empty".
- Thoughts of self harm, death or suicide.
- Self neglect such as not taking care of personal hygeine.

Depression can feel like a heavy weight is on our chest. It can be debilitating and can even cause physical problems such as aches and pains, headaches and fatigue. Some people find they struggle even getting out of bed, or even to do small tasks such as cleaning or making meals. In severe cases, people with depression struggle to work.
There are effective treatments for depression, including medication (such as antidepressants) and talking therapy (counselling or psychotherapy) which can lead to a very successful recovery.

Severe depression is called Recurrent Depressive Disorder/Major Depressive Disorder. These are also other names for Clinical Depression, where the problems are long lasting and persistent. People with RDD/MDD usually need psychotherapy and possibly other medications such as antipsychotics for psychotic depression.


I think I may have depression. What should I do?

If you are experiencing any symptoms of depression, it would be a good idea to see your doctor. They can give you medication, refer you to a counsellor or refer you to the Community Mental Health Team to receive more in depth treatment and a diagnosis from a psychiatrist.

PERSONAL STORY

Up until early 2017, I had experienced odd spells of mild to moderate depression, usually because of my eating disorder. However, this year I truly started to experience severe depression and what it encompasses. Days spent in bed; complete fatigue, zero motivation to do even the littlest of tasks and suicidal plans. In May I actually took an overdose and was disappointed when it had the opposite effect of what I expected, but now I'm glad it did. I still have depression, even though I am doing more stuff on my own. My boyfriend coming into my life has helped a lot. I have the utmost support from him, as well as family and friends, but I still have my bad days despite this. I still have days in bed and I still feel fatigued a lot (I'm getting checked for a physical problem just to be on the safe side). However, right now I do not have any thoughts of suicide. My mood is stable due to medication and I am taking care of myself.

I am/someone I know is feeling suicidal. What can I do?
If you're feeling in any way suicidal, having any thoughts of suicide or experiencing suicidal ideation, then I urge you to PLEASE get some help. There is plenty of ways you can do this:

- Call 999(UK)/911 (US) if you are having unbearable suicidal thoughts, about to make an attempt, or have taken an overdose.
- If you're in secondary care services, contact your CPN, care coordinator, psychiatrist or local Crisis Team.
- Talk to someone whom you trust.
- Ring a suicide helpline (listed further down).
- Write down your thoughts and feelings.
- There are a lot of apps that can be downloaded onto phones via the App Store or Google Play. A good one is What's Up?

How can I help someone who is feeling suicidal?
- Talk and listen to them about how they feel and what their thoughts are.
- Call 999(UK)/911 (US) if the risk of suicide attempt is high.
- Contact the local Crisis Team or the person's mental health professional.
- Encourage them to see a doctor.
- Encourage them to ring a suicide helpline.


Helplines:
- The Samaritans (UK & ROI) on 116 123
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline (USA & Canada) on 1-800-273-8255

- Lifeline (AUS) on 13 11 14
- Suicide Ecoute (France) on 01 45 39 40 00
- Telefonseelsorge (Germany) on 0800 111 0 111

- Nationella Hjalplinjen (Sweden) on 020 22 00 66
- Kirkens SOS i Norge (Norway) on +47 815 33 300
- Livslinien (Denmark) on +45 70 201 201
- The Samaritans (India) on 022 6464 3267

Comments

Popular Posts